Saturday, June 15, 2013

Peace Corps Response

In just a few hours I'll be headed to the airport, on my way to begin a Peace Corps Response position with Save the Children, serving as a Health Program Specialist in Kankan, Guinea. It’s a nine-month assignment, and I’ll be supporting the current Maternal and Child Health Integrated Program (MCHIP) that’s being funded by USAID and led by the non-governmental organization (NGO) Jphiego.

Home Sweet Soon-to-Be Home
Kankan, Guinea, West Africa

MCHIP activities focus on strengthening family planning services, increasing local capacity for reproductive health services, and increasing the quality of care provided at the community level. As a Health Program Specialist, my main responsibilities will be to provide regular monthly updates on program activities in Guinea in English and French, to work with local staff to improve work plans and budgets, and to help coordinate the development of a Public Health and Nutrition Program. It will be a big change and a lot of responsibility, but I’m really excited about working with Save the Children, about spending some more time in West Africa, and about eating avocados for breakfast every day. (Among other things, Guinea is renowned for having beautiful terrain, nightmarish roads and absolutely fabulous fruits and vegetables.) 

I should have regular internet access in Kankan, and will be doing my best to update this blog regularly. That's all for now; I'm off to savor one last breakfast in America, triple-check that I have my passport, and get on that plane. 

No comments:

Post a Comment