While I was settling in to my rooms I pondered various keep-everything-off-the-floor strategies. Oatmeal-can furniture legs didn't seem appropriate (or tall enough) and commissioning tables just to hold up my suitcases isn't included in my living allowance. Then I realized that there was a whole fleet of chairs in the conference room and under the stairs, and that solved my little problem quite nicely.
| Chairs are much classier than old Quaker tins. |
Also I put up some photos and postcards and color swatches cut from the Pantone stationary set that I bought on my way out of California but have not yet used for any actual letter-writing. Maybe this weekend will be the weekend that I find the post office and send some test letters to see if the U.S. has started accepting mail from Guinea yet.
In other news, I am not sick (knock on wood) and had a nice
time over the weekend, reading, doing yoga podcasts, and checking things off my
to-do list. Ramadan kind of puts a damper on things en ville, but the Catholic Mission was open for business, and I met
up with a few of my PCV neighbors for dinner there. I had loko, which is fried plantains, and a “hamburger”, which turned out
to be a hard-boiled egg wrapped in spiced ground meat (beef?) and thoroughly
grilled, like a barbequed Scotch egg. We
were joined by another American I met last month in Conakry; she's doing a three-month internship in
Guinea, working on the same maternal health- and family planning-focused MCHIP
project as I am, and came through Kankan during a field visit trip. It was nice
to talk shop and good to hear about what she's been seeing at health structures
around the country, as unpleasant as some of those things are.
Things are starting to pick up around the office, which is
nice. I've got documents to read, people to meet, Peace Corps reporting files
to fill out, and things to prepare for upcoming meetings and conferences. Office life is about as exciting here as it is anywhere, but wondering how long the power will stay on keeps things interesting.
No comments:
Post a Comment